Diseases of the central nervous system (CNS) are a serious problem not only for the sick, and sometimes more so for their relatives.. "Medical On Group Investment" pays great attention to the development and release of new drugs for the treatment of diseases of the central nervous system. One of these diseases are & ndash; epilepsy and schizophrenia.
Epilepsy is a chronic disease of the brain, the main clinical manifestation of which consists of repeated seizures, accompanied by shutdown or alteration of consciousness, muscle contractions, as well as impaired sensory, emotional and vegetative functions. The disease may be accompanied by a change in character and a decrease in intelligence..
The name & laquo; epilepsy & raquo; comes from the Greek word epilambano, which means grasp, embrace outside. This reflected the ideas of the ancient Greeks about epilepsy, as a result of the intervention of supernatural forces..
Epilepsy is one of the most frequent of the most serious disorders of brain function with a prevalence in the population (according to different authors) from 0.3% to 2%.
The last decade of the second millennium, declared by UNESCO as the Decade of the Brain, was characterized by unprecedented progress in the field of epileptology and, above all, improvement of its treatment methods, allowing not 70% of patients with epileptic disorders to ensure complete remission with social adaptation and high standards of living. Of the remaining 30%, the overwhelming majority can achieve a life-sustaining result. (Л.Р.Зенков «Лечение эпилепсии», изд. ИИА» Ремедиум», с.8)
Schizophrenia & ndash; mental illness, characterized by a violation of the unity of mental processes, a long course, accompanied by relatively more specific negative personality changes (decreased activity, emotional impairment, autism) and relatively less specific productive symptoms (delirium, hallucinations, affective disorders, senestopathic disorders, catatonia, etc.) Clear and & nbsp; intellectual abilities are usually preserved, although over time the cognitive abilities decrease. It starts mostly at a young age..
Schizophrenia affects 1–1.5% of the population; 50% of beds in psychiatric hospitals are occupied by schizophrenic patients. The frequency of newly diagnosed schizophrenia is 0.2% annually.
Biological factors can predispose to the development of schizophrenia, and the psychological causes are & ndash; act as a trigger and maintain the course of the disease. There appears to be a genetic predisposition to the disease. This, in particular, is evidenced by the data of genealogical research. So, if both parents are sick with schizophrenia, then the risk of the disease in a child is 40-50%, with one sick parent & ndash; 12% (РЛС «Энциклопедия психиатрии», ООО РЛС-2004, стр104)